Return to Country
Bangarra's relationships with Indigenous communities are the heart of the company, with their repertoire created on country and stories gathered from respected community Elders. It's this inherent connection to land and people that makes Bangarra unique.
Through the Return to Country program, Bangarra undertakes crucial creative residencies in regional and remote communities.
Return to Country aims to:
- Build on already established relationships, developing a deeper connection to traditional communities
- Enable cultural exchange of ideas, stories, songs and dances to inform creative practices
- Reconnect Bangarra's dancers and artists with their land and communities
- Acknowledge ownership of traditional elements of Bangarra performances
- Provide a critical component of the development of new works by Bangarra artists
- Connect Indigenous young people to their culture and tradition
Bangarra's artist-in-residence rogram was established in 2011 to help the company maintain a pool of creative individuals that would contribute to all aspects of the company's productions. From cultural advice to music to set design, these incredibly talented individuals provide support to the Artistic Director and artistic leadership for Bangarra.
Bangarra's artist-in-residence ARE:
- David Page - composer
- Jacob Nash - set designer
- Frances Rings - choreographer
- Aunty Kathy Marika - cultural consultant and performer
The artist-in-residence program continues to extend Bangarra's each in to the community with new initiatives, special projects and representation of Bangarra and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island arts in Australia.