Return to Country
Bangarra’s Return to Country and On Country programs are a vital component of their Cultural Creation Life Cycle.
Bangarra’s productions are created from the stories and culture of the land and its people. Spending time On Country with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders and communities enables Bangarra's artists to establish and maintain respectful connections with the cultural traditions that shape the stories presented in each of their productions.
The objectives of Return to Country are:
- Continue to build strong relationships between Bangarra and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and Elders
- Exchange knowledge and culture between Bangarra and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities through the practice of cultural reciprocity
- Provide regular opportunities for Bangarra’s artists and creatives to reconnect with traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture to deepen their artistry and sense of identity
Annamila also supports Bangarra’s creative development program, but investing in the creative development of work and people.
The objectives of the Creative Development program are:
- Develop and nurture the professional development of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander creatives working ‘off the stage’ with Bangarra – particularly the roles of Head of Design and Cultural Consultant
- Support the creative development of new work and provide opportunities for the next generation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander creatives by investing in choreographic development, set and costume creation and score development